Unilever has a simple but clear purpose – to make sustainable living commonplace. We believe this is the best long-term way for our business to grow.
A clear direction
Our distinct Purpose and our operational expertise across our business model will help realize our vision to grow our business, whilst decoupling our environmental footprint from our growth and increasing our positive social impact. This is captured in the Unilever Sustainable Living Plan.
By combining our multinational expertise with our deep roots in diverse local cultures, we’re continuing to provide a range of products to suit a wealth of consumers. We’re also strengthening our strong relationships in the emerging markets we believe will be significant for our future growth.
And by leveraging our global reach and inspiring people to take small, everyday actions, we believe we can help make a big difference to the world.
"We cannot close our eyes to the challenges that the world faces. Business must make an explicit and positive contribution to addressing them. I’m convinced we can create a more equitable and sustainable world for all of us by doing so,” says Unilever CEO Paul Polman. “But this means that business has to change. The Unilever Sustainable Plan is a blueprint for sustainable growth.”
Our priorities and principles
Unilever is committed to supporting sustainability and providing our consumers around the world with the products they need to look good, feel good and get more out of life.
Five key priorities provide the foundation for our brand’s campaigns. Read some examples of how different brands are upholding these principles.
A healthier future
- Vaseline has launched the Vaseline Skin Care Foundation, providing research into skin conditions and support for people affected by them
- In 2017 Lifebuoy, in partnership with Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, launched a project to protect children under five from childhood illnesses and premature death. By promoting handwashing with soap and immunization together - two of the most cost-effective child survival interventions - the partnership aims to improve and save many young lives in India.
A more confident future
- Dove’s Campaign for Real Beauty uses real women instead of models in its advertising campaigns. The brand has also launched the Dove Self Esteem Fund which educates and inspires millions of young women.
A better future for the planet
- We’re aiming to grow our business while reducing our environmental footprint and working across the supply chain for every brand to do so.
- Our Lipton tea brand backs sustainable forest management projects.
A better future for farming and farmers
- Many of our brands contain ethically and sustainably sourced ingredients that are independently certified
- Among these are Lipton tea, which is accredited by the Rainforest Alliance, and Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, which includes Fairtrade vanilla and almonds in various flavors.
- Around half our raw materials come from agriculture and forestry, so we’re working towards making our key crops 100% sustainable.